2015 Am Slam Surf Series - Event #1 @ Tamarack
The first stop of the O’neill/Sun Diego Boardshops Am Slam Surf series went down on Saturday June 6th at Tamarack Beach in Carlsbad. With a nice little south swell in the water and decent conditions, contestants of all ages were able to show what they had to offer. There was a great showing of San Diego amateurs and pros on hand as well some non-local seasoned veterans who made their way to Carlsbad to take a shot at the $3000 prize purse.
Surfing wasn’t the only focus at the event. The vendor village on the beach offered some additional entertainment to the spectators in the form of games, promos, and all around shenanigans. Our awesome sponsors, O’neill, Nixon, Captain Fin, Lost, Surface Sun Systems, Dakine, Spy, and XSories, were all on hand to represent. It was the first day in weeks that the sun came out on the beach, so the vibe was definitely uplifted.
Although, it was in the water where the major excitement ensued. In the Pro/Am it came down to four. The South African Brandon Roberts, the up and coming HB standout Derek Peters, the CT veteran Travis Logie, and top American CT hopeful Kanoa Igarashi. All 4 surfers came out swinging in the final, but it was apparent the 2 that hit harder were Travis and Kanoa. The veteran Logie definitely used his experience of speed and turning power to excel in the softer Carlsbad conditions. But it was Igarashi who truly pressed the limits with his powerful rail game and aerial maneuvers. He seemed to peek in the final with an explosive display of talent and skill which impressed everyone watching on the beach and judges tower. Kanoa was all smiles during the award ceremony and ended up going home with the well-deserved $1600 check!
The next O'Neill/Sun Diego Boardshops Am Slam Surf event will be held at San Fernando Place in Mission Beach on July 25th.
1. Kanoa Igarashi 2. Travis Logie 3.Derek Peters 4.Brandon Roberts
1. Keoni Picollo 2. Jay Christenson 3. Logan Hayes
4. Tyler Molesworth 5. Remi Juboori 6. Gabriel San Miguel
1. Grayson Amthor 2. TEAM RIDER Michah Crozier 3. Ethan Grant
4. Keoni Picollo 5. Noah Slawson 6. Judd Henkes
1. Avalon Johnson 2. Sidney Johnson 3. Coral McDuffee
4. Kama Keohokapo 5. Maya Saulino 6. Ashley Deemer
1. Caleb Crozier 2. Gavin King 3. Sebastian Ojeda
4. Benji Van Zandt 5. Jack Gallen 6. Joaoa Bro